Wednesday, November 17, 2010

TV- ARE PARENTS FORMING CHILDREN'S HABITS FOR A LIFETIME?



There is a lot of controversy over how much television a child should watch. I think that while it can be very entertaining, it shouldn’t be a big priority in a child’s life. I believe the way you are taught to use the television can stick with you as an adult. I believe my parents gave me good habits growing up and I still have them today.

I really enjoy watching movies. I don’t care for regularly programmed shows, but a movie, that’s another story. When I watch the TV I don’t like to be interrupted and I want to do it in my own time. With cable, I feel as though I would have to spend my time watching commercials and adjusting my schedule to watch what I wanted. I am not willing to do that and would prefer to watch something from beginning to end.  My time is too precious to me.

As a child, I was raised in a very active family, with boating, baseball, camping, downhill skiing, snowmobiling and much more. We didn’t have much time for television other than an occasional movie or the news. I can’t say I feel as though I missed out on anything. I learned to enjoy family and friends instead of “vegetating on the couch”.  I will be honest, movie night with my family or friends is fun and I have had my own television in my room since I was four; but, it didn’t have cable.  I could only watch a movie if I checked t it out from my parents movie library, we rented a movie or checked it out from the library. I think my parents did it right. They made sure that while we do enjoy watching a movie, television is not a huge priority in our life. That is, other than an occasional movie, the news, or sports on the family television.

No comments:

Post a Comment