Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Presidential Vote 2008


Voting for the President of the United States is not just a right, or a privilege, but a responsibility. If we as citizens want to keep our country on track, we should vote for the best leader we can. In the 2008 election I was not old enough to vote. I would have voted for Brarack Obama as our President. 
  
In my opinion, President Obama was the best choice available on the ballot, that had a chance of winning. I will be benefited by his having been in office. I am about to turn 18 and would like the chance to continue my health insurance through my parents. It is something that concerns me. 

I have a friend that receives medical insurance through his parents at age 19, because he is attending college full time. He was hospitalized recently, after receiving 3rd degree burns on 65% of his body. He had to drop this semester of college and probably next semester also because he will be in the hospital, trying to just survive. He and his family will be very affected by this tragedy, emotionally, physically and financially. But, thanks to Obama's medical plan, he won't be dropped by insurance or have to pay for the insurance to continue, at $450  or more a month just because he wasn't able to continue college full time. I appreciate that insurance companies are willing to pay for full time college students to continue insuring students, but is that fair to people who are not able to carry a full college load, either physically due to illness, emotionally due to unforeseen problems or intellectually? I don't think that it is fair and it places a burden on the tax payers to compensate financially.

I think that Obama has done some positive things for our country and he is trying to clean up a  mess that took eight years to create. Are we being fair as citizens to place blame on him or his party for not being able to fix in two year what Bush created in eight? I understand our Countries concern, but we need to have patients too. 

1 comment: